This is not going well...

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
DM

This is not going well...

Post by DM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Guess I was lucky with my 3 cracks in the trial.
MPFreaker just renamed my U2 album "How to sismantale an atomic bomb" -- Now this wouldn't have bugged me so much if hadn't been for the ID3 tag being spot on when I only needed the cover art filled in. Am I missing something because that's not cool...

[EDIT]

It would be nice to be able to kick off an AppleScript in iTunes that lets you select a column from a group a selected songs. So I select my U2 Album tracks, run the "Fix Track" script and have MPFreaker weigh the more common fields more heavily. Then it has a chance of not straying with different sources and leaving MusicBrainz alone, and there's only one UI to work with (iTunes)

Maybe just crazytalk...
beastie

album renaming & itunes integration

Post by beastie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 am

Guess I was lucky with my 3 cracks in the trial.
I want to remind anyone that reads this that before registration, MPFreaker will process three songs per launch, and you can launch it as many times as you like, forever, without limit. You can test it all you want before buying, it's just meant to be inconvenient to get some real work done on your library until registering.
MPFreaker just renamed my U2 album "How to sismantale an atomic bomb" -- Now this wouldn't have bugged me so much if hadn't been for the ID3 tag being spot on when I only needed the cover art filled in. Am I missing something because that's not cool...
One of the databases that MPFreaker sometimes refers to is Tracktype.org (née FreeDB). It is usually a valuable source of information, but because it is based upon user contributions, some of its submitting users have poor spelling or typing skills and end up submitting bad information to the database, which doesn't get cleaned up by the maintainer immediately. Therefore it's an unfortunate reality that you'll occasionally get stupid results like you indicated.

So it's definitely not cool, but please remember that by default MPFreaker will never change existing song information -- you explicitly told MPFreaker to Overwrite information that you already knew to be correct, right? In addition to not turning on Overwrite unnecessarily, not using Deep Search willy-nilly is a good rule of thumb as well.
It would be nice to be able to kick off an AppleScript in iTunes that lets you select a column from a group a selected songs. So I select my U2 Album tracks, run the "Fix Track" script and have MPFreaker weigh the more common fields more heavily. Then it has a chance of not straying with different sources and leaving MusicBrainz alone, and there's only one UI to work with (iTunes)
I'm working on a user-submitted AppleScript to do just what you've mentioned. I'm not an experienced AppleScript coder, but hopefully I'll end up with something solid. I'm happy to send what I have to anyone interested, support@lairware.com. If the original submitter gives permission, I may post another forum topic containing the script for any and all comers to tinker with.

Leon
beastie

iTunes Applescript

Post by beastie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:56 pm

babbington

Undo?

Post by babbington » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 pm

I think it would be better to have a simple undo button - or have a preview of the new suggested tags that are going to be written and then a button to confirm.

The ideal solution would be an automatic fill-in of the most trusted results - with the option to use other searched sources if the found tags are incorrect. (I think AutotagX had this feature) Then, like any other program from Microsoft Word to Adobe Photoshop, the ability to quit without making changes.

Babbington
http://mactags.blogspot.com/