it just doesn't work...

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
daisylee

it just doesn't work...

Post by daisylee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:04 pm

I burned cd's from my old PC and put them over at the Itune library. No titles comes up and nothing works, the songs i burn won't copy over in new playlist and it is just a mess...very frustrating. So I signed up for this program, and it doesn't work neither, it just says that it has modified (0 out of whatever number).What do I do wrong? Can it be that none of my songs are recognized out there? But I also have songs like U2, which should absolutely be there, so...Help would be very appreciated!
beastie

Dealing with untagged music.

Post by beastie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:32 am

It sounds like your music is completely untagged. MPFreaker needs songs to at least have an Artist and either a Song Title or an Album Title + Track Number in order to do anything with it.

If your song filenames have the artist & song title in them, that's what you'll see for the song title in both iTunes and MPFreaker. They don't know what part is artist and what part is song title, however -- in fact, amongst your library of music, the naming scheme may not be consistent. If this is what you're experiencing, you have two options:

1) Fingerprint-based tagging. There's a free program called iEatBrainz that will help you tag your songs based on their acoustic "fingerprint". It hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't always work, but I just tried it now and it worked for me.

2) Filename-based tagging. TriTag (free), Media Rage ($30), and Jaikoz (£15, ~$30) all can be configured for your filename scheme to interpret them and store them as proper music tags, which then can be read by iTunes, MPFreaker, etc.

None of these solutions is a walk in the park, but they'll address the problem. Of course, at the end of all that, if I have misunderstood the nature of your problem, please elaborate and I (or someone else) will help you out.

Leon
Last edited by beastie on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisylee

Post by daisylee » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks a lot for your answer. I do think however that it is completely untagged, there is no information whatsoever. Will the programs you mention still be worth a shot?
beastie

No information whatsoever

Post by beastie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:08 am

daisylee wrote:Thanks a lot for your answer. I do think however that it is completely untagged, there is no information whatsoever. Will the programs you mention still be worth a shot?
If the songs are untagged and the filenames are unhelpful, you may still find joy with a fingerprint-based solution. I've only tried iEatBrainz, which seems to consider the file name as well -- that might throw a spanner in the works. Still, it's worth a shot.

I believe that Jaikoz has a fingerprint recognition feature but I haven't tried it in the context of your situation.

Leon