There was a problem with this song. Click the Rescan button.

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
Spazholio

Post by Spazholio » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 am

I scan my entire iTunes library, and I get this error all the time, on a lot of my songs. Sometimes, it's whole albums, sometimes only one song on an album, sometimes all BUT one song on an album. There's really no rhyme or reason to it, and I don't know how to make it go away. I've Rescanned a bunch of times, but it never changes anything.

Prior to using MPFreaker, I used Media Rage (still do, actually) to tag all my music. I tag them using ID3v2.3, because I've heard bad things about 2.4. Using MPFreaker, I don't have a choice, and I'm pretty much ok with that. However, I've noticed that sometimes, if I use MPFreaker to re-tag something that's already in iTunes, tagged at 2.3, it screws them up. Badly. All the albums are numbered "13356" or something like that, a couple letters are altered in the title, etc.

Could the fact that I have my entire library in ID3v2.3 have anything to do with it?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is....HELP! :D
beastie

Problem songs

Post by beastie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:01 pm

You'll see that as the help text when hovering over "problem" icons. Things that can cause MPFreaker to show songs as "problems" include:
  • 1. MPFreaker had trouble parsing the song's information tag.
    2. MPFreaker wasn't able to find out the modification date of the song (in order to determine if it has changed later)
    3. MPFreaker couldn't resolve the song's "alias" which is supposed to point to the song file.
    4. MPFreaker tried to modify the song file (because of info gathering or manual editing) but was unable to for some reason.
If the affected songs seem to consistently stay with a "problem" icon after rescanning, I'd guess that it is #1. If you could send one of these problem songs to support@lairware.com, hopefully we can solve this mystery.
Prior to using MPFreaker, I used Media Rage (still do, actually) to tag all my music. I tag them using ID3v2.3, because I've heard bad things about 2.4. Using MPFreaker, I don't have a choice, and I'm pretty much ok with that.
MPFreaker generally preserves the ID3 version used in a song, and keeps it whatever version it was. ID3v1.0/1.1 will be upgraded to ID3v2 if art or lyrics are added, but ID3v2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 are all left as is.
However, I've noticed that sometimes, if I use MPFreaker to re-tag something that's already in iTunes, tagged at 2.3, it screws them up. Badly. All the albums are numbered "13356" or something like that, a couple letters are altered in the title, etc.
This is unlike anything we've heard about previously. Any further details you can provide may help.

Leon
Spazholio

Post by Spazholio » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Consider it done.
This is unlike anything we've heard about previously. Any further details you can provide may help.
I hear that far more often than I'd like. I'm going to do a bit of testing before I pursue that one. It's still within the realm of user error.
beastie

Post by beastie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:50 pm

If anyone else is experiencing this problem, you may find joy with MPFreaker 1.8. This issue has been resolved with 1.8 beta 8.
http://www.lairware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=588

Leon