cant find library?

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
umabatata

cant find library?

Post by umabatata » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:29 am

Hi there
I have had a registered version of Song Sergeant 24 hours. MY wife has 100gb of musicy goodness and we had 20gb of duplicates but had the usual issues with iTunes being useless at managing dupes.
Song sergeant worked brilliantly last night, but then while it was working some part of the system went to sleep - Song Sergeant said itunes was unresponsive or somthing. It hasnt worked since. iTunes is fine. I thought it was an issue with the library file so I trashed the old one and added all the music folders to the new library. Song Sergeant just makes a wierd bleep noise (like a sparrow being squeezed or somthing - or R2D2's battery failing.
I dont want to re install song sergeant as i am not sure if i will lose my registration. I can't see any options in SS to change anything that might help.

Any ideas anyone.

I have tried about 8 different shareware/freeware programs to sort out this music. some are ok, but none are as good as this one. It seems to be right every time... if we can get it to work.

Thanks

Malcolm
beastie

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:55 am

Song sergeant worked brilliantly last night, but then while it was working some part of the system went to sleep - Song Sergeant said itunes was unresponsive or somthing. It hasnt worked since.
If iTunes appears to be working just fine now and doesn't appear busy doing anything, then go ahead and launch Song Sergeant. If by chance it can't find your library itself, go into SS's Preferences and manually "Change iTunes Library location..." to the iTunes Music Library.xml file inside your iTunes library's folder.
Song Sergeant just makes a wierd bleep noise (like a sparrow being squeezed or somthing - or R2D2's battery failing.
I don't want to alarm you, but the only sound Song Sergeant should ever make is your system-defined alert beep. If it's sounding different, you may have an unrelated problem on your system.
I dont want to re install song sergeant as i am not sure if i will lose my registration.
You can safely trash and reinstall Song Sergeant whenever you like without worrying about your registration, that is kept in Song Sergeant's preferences.
umabatata

Post by umabatata » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:09 am

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply.
I think i have worked it out
I have unchecked the box that says scan on startup as I wanted to change some settings before I scanned. When I reopened SS and clicked scan library it bleeped at me and wouldn't look for the library.
If I recheck the scan at start up box and restart SS then it scans as it should.
Maybe something you can address in the next update.

By the way - Congratulations on a great program. I have spent days and days sorting out this music collection already with iTunes and other programs, and SS did in an evening what more than I could have ever done. Well worth the money.

Thanks

Malcolm