Dupe deletion deletes all media files

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
kriro

Dupe deletion deletes all media files

Post by kriro » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi,

I fear there's a serious problem with dupe deletion (at least it looks so on my machine):

When dupes point to the same media file (as the one you wish to keep), deleting the dupe deletes the media file it points to with it - meaning it deletes the master media file in doing this!

Dupes in iTunes pointing to the same file can happen when you e.g. moved your iTunes music folder to a new storage location and in order to update the references to the media files (which iTunes unfortunately isn't doing by itself, even when you point it to the new media folder), you drag and drop the music folder onto iTunes library section. This creates duplicate entries in the library, which - when then resolved - point to the same media file.

So when Song Sergeant deletes the dupe entry *and* the media file it points to, the one single media file is actually deleted (and leaves the entry you wanted to keep with no media file).

Two things Song Sergeant should do:

1. If dupes point to the same media file, it must never delete the actual media file, just the duplicate library entries that point to that media file.

2. There should be an option to "just delete the duplicate library entries, but do not touch any media files" for experienced users.

Is anyone else seeing this?

kris
(restoring his iTunes media folder from a backup...)
beastie

Deleting music?

Post by beastie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 am

Kris, I am really sorry about this! It's great that you have a backup, but if you hadn't I feel I should point out that Song Sergeant should not outright delete anything, it should only move files to your Trash.
1. If dupes point to the same media file, it must never delete the actual media file, just the duplicate library entries that point to that media file.
We've also received a support email yesterday from someone encountering something that sounds like the same circumstance. We'll be meticulously reproducing and working around this condition for a release that prevents this from happening as soon as possible. I suppose that we haven't heard about this problem before because under normal circumstances, iTunes prevents users from having more than one song that points to the same file.
2. There should be an option to "just delete the duplicate library entries, but do not touch any media files" for experienced users.
The other options in the "Unkept songs:" pop-up menu at the bottom of the Song Sergeant window aren't quite what you're asking for, but might be closer to the mark.

Leon
kriro

Post by kriro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 am

Sorry if I've screamed too loud the "d***" word :)

Indeed, Song Sergeant does not delete the files right away. But it moves them into the trash at the top level, removing any folder structures. Getting that back (especially when someone does not have iTunes set to manage the music folder for him) is probably a couple of days' work, if it is even possible at all.

Anyway, great to hear you are working on it. While you are at it it would be great to have a "path" column as well for the library entry lists, as that sometimes may be the criterion for which file to pick as well.
suppose that we haven't heard about this problem before because under normal circumstances, iTunes prevents users from having more than one song that points to the same file.
This may well be the case for most users who do not try to share iTunes media across family members on a shared volume.

Anyway, I am accustomed to hit a bug in every software I purchase or use within 15 minutes, so I am not really surprised that it happens also this time :)

-kris
beastie

Understood

Post by beastie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 am

Indeed, Song Sergeant does not delete the files right away. But it moves them into the trash at the top level, removing any folder structures. Getting that back (especially when someone does not have iTunes set to manage the music folder for him) is probably a couple of days' work, if it is even possible at all.
Here's what was suggested to the other person encountering this problem:

'If you're not entirely put off from using Song Sergeant again, I'd suggest making a folder inside your iTunes/iTunes Music/ folder and drag everything within your Trash into that folder. Song Sergeant will then be able to re-associate those song files back to where they're supposed to be in its "reuniting orphans" stage.'

You restoring from backup is a better solution, since it is available to you.
beastie

Fixed in 1.0.4b9

Post by beastie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:43 pm

The latest beta version (1.0.4b9) now properly deals with this unusual circumstance.

http://lwupdate.dyndns.org/SongSergeant-beta.zip