Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am
LairWare Forums
Board index User Chat Ultima III

Ultima III

Separate Data and Engine?

Ultima III has thousands of fans around the world, and here's the home for the Mac users among them.

Separate Data and Engine?

Postby William » Thu May 06, 2004 4:02 pm

I have an idea for a game I'd like to write that uses an 2D overhead tile-based game engine like the ones in use in Ultima I-IV.

How tightly coupled is this wonderful game's engine entertwined with the U3 specific data?

Inseparable: Any alteration could ripple through other parts of the game and possibly change unexpected things.
Tight: You could add some new stuff as long as you didn't try to change the logic of the game itself.
Loose: There's a nice abstraction layers sitting between the data, the game logic, and the display engine that would make such things possible.

Even in the loose case I know that it wouldn't be an easy thing to do. Any changes would probably have to be written with a hex editor (which may be beyond my capability).

The logical answer is for me to seek out a different project that's opensource and work with that instead. It's just that you've got such a nice product here (what with the auto-combat and other extras) that I thought it was at least worth asking.[/b]
William

Postby trigonman3 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Didn't Ambrosia come up with such a seperable engine?
trigonman3

Return to Ultima III

User Control Panel

Login