ID3 Tags v2.3, v2.4 issue

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
largoembargo

ID3 Tags v2.3, v2.4 issue

Post by largoembargo » Wed May 24, 2006 10:33 am

Hi,

I recently purchased MPFreaker 1.5. So far I love it, but I recognized a small issue which seem to be caused by ID3 Tags v2.3 and v2.4.

The tag information of some songs which are tagged with v2.3 or v2.4 tags shows up properly in iTunes but in MPFreaker the filename just shows up as Song Title, though the Tag information is missing. If I convert the tags to v2.2 via iTunes and rescan the files in MPFreaker, the tag information shows up correctly.

If I convert the tags back to v2.4 and rescan the list, the information is missing again in MPFreaker, while it shows up in iTunes. Maybe this issue is also caused by iTunes' tag converter(?) I'm using 6.0.4 for Mac.

However there are also v2.4 tagged files which show up correctly in MPFreaker, no matter if I convert their tags back and forth between v2.2 and v2.4.

Regards,

Martin
beastie

Re: ID3 Tags v2.3, v2.4 issue

Post by beastie » Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Martin,

The only way to determine what's going on here is for you to send one or two of these songs that aren't displaying properly in MPFreaker to support@lairware.com. I promise to sort it out one way or the other.

Leon
largoembargo

Post by largoembargo » Thu May 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Leon,

thanks, I have just sent you two of those mp3s.

Kind regards,

Martin
beastie

Results

Post by beastie » Sat May 27, 2006 1:09 am

These songs are malformed, though obviously in a way that iTunes copes with but MPFreaker doesn't. Lots of malformations are dealt with properly, but not these. I can't yet see a safe way of coping with these files safely without making MPFreaker unable to cope with some other malformations. Maybe if I had a peek at the iTunes source code ...

In the meantime, they should be easy to fix. The way you tried to fix them was close, but iTunes tries to preserve everything it can about tags -- including malformations -- so they were kept when you went back to v2.4 tags.

The key is to "Convert ID3 Tags..." to ID3 tag version "None" , OK it, then change it back to v2.4. This will force iTunes to 'clean' the tags, though you will lose artwork and lyrics in the cleaned songs.

Leon