Lyrics retrieval and encoding

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
Spazholio

Lyrics retrieval and encoding

Post by Spazholio » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm noticing that when I use the lyrics retrieval tool, and the lyric contains an apostrophe, there are issues when inserting them into the file. For example:

Code: Select all

"So letâ•˙s be about it"
should really be

Code: Select all

"So let's be about it"
Any ideas? ID3 tag is 2.4, and let me know if you need any further info from me.
beastie

Lyrics with mangled special characters

Post by beastie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:19 am

What's more likely is that the original web page which MPFreaker retrieved the lyrics from has mangled formatting exactly as shown. Most lyrics retrieved by MPFreaker which include apostrophes come out fine here. There are loads of cases of bad formatting which MPFreaker fixes as it inserts them into a song file.

For us to see an example of exactly what you're talking about, it would be helpful if you could point out the artist name and song title in this case. There may be something we can do about this for future MPFreakers.

Leon
Spazholio

Post by Spazholio » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:54 am

This particular one is Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart.
beastie

Results

Post by beastie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:53 am

Here is what I got through MPFreaker, probably from the same source as you:
http://www.lyricstime.com/black-eyed-pe ... yrics.html
No, no, no, no, don’t phunk with my heart
I'm afraid there are too many badly-decoded-then-reencoded examples out there like this for MPFreaker to have any hope of fixing. The best we can probably hope for is for MPFreaker to recognize such garbage and to refuse it, and for it to then look elsewhere for properly encoded text.

Leon
Spazholio

Post by Spazholio » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:16 am

Maybe an option to flag or some such?

For instance, instead of just a dot in the column, put a green check mark if it's 100% good, a red check mark if it's complete, but with horked characters, and a question mark if there are less than, say, 10 characters in there?

I suggest that last one because I've noticed that sometimes there are just one or two characters in the lyrics field, but MPFreaker considers that song to have the lyrics just because *something* is there.