Mismatch between iTunes and MPFreaker databases

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
Landon

Mismatch between iTunes and MPFreaker databases

Post by Landon » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:33 am

I have an iTunes library of some 4,000+ songs, and use MPFreaker regularly to fill in the blanks. I'm happy with what it does and how it works, but am made uneasy by certain inconsistencies between the lists displayed by iTunes vs MPFreaker.

1) iTunes lists about 20 more songs than MPFreaker. I've yet to locate one of the files that MPFreaker has missed, so can't say anything about their specifics.

2) More troubling are the listings in MPFreaker - more than 10, but I've not checked all - that are different, sometimes wildly so, from the matching ones in iTunes. Many of these consist only of a title in MPFreaker, often of a classical piece, but this title is in a different format than I use. For example, I have a song entitled (in iTunes) "Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor, Op.30 3. Finale. Alla breve". All the details of artist, album, and track are there. MPFreaker somehow has this listed as "09 Rachmaninoff_Piano Concerto #3 in D Minor, Op. 30 - 3. Finale - Alla Breve", with all other columns blank.

In truth, this doesn't seem to be causing any significant problem, but it would be nice to have the two databases the same.
beastie

Re: Mismatches

Post by beastie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:46 pm

1) iTunes lists about 20 more songs than MPFreaker. I've yet to locate one of the files that MPFreaker has missed, so can't say anything about their specifics.
MPFreaker supports MP3 and AAC (all flavours). Anything else won't appear in MPFreaker's lists -- OGG, AIFF, WAV, movies, and streaming radio stations for example.
2) More troubling are the listings in MPFreaker - more than 10, but I've not checked all - that are different, sometimes wildly so, from the matching ones in iTunes. Many of these consist only of a title in MPFreaker, often of a classical piece, but this title is in a different format than I use.
What MPFreaker is showing in these cases is the song's filename, since it wasn't able to read any info from the song itself for some reason. You can read more about this phenomenon here.

Leon