Can't find new additions

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
clarkeperformance

Can't find new additions

Post by clarkeperformance » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 am

I believe since the latest update of I tunes MPfreaker is not finding new cd additions to my itunes library. Any hints tips or do I need to wait for an update?

Thanks
JC
beastie

Noticing newly added music in iTunes

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:09 am

For MPFreaker to notice any changes you've made to your music library since MPFreaker was launched, you need to use MPFreaker's Rescan button.

In the case of MPFreaker's "iTunes Library" source, that isn't always enough. It may take some time for changes to the library to become visible to MPFreaker's "Rescan". In my case with iTunes 7.4.2, after ripping a new CD just now I was able to Rescan in MPFreaker to have the new tracks appear straight away. If this isn't happening for you, in the worst case one might occasionally need to quit out of iTunes and relaunch it in order for it to make the contents of its library visible to outside applications such as MPFreaker.

Alternately, you can select the "Disk Directory" source in MPFreaker, then navigate to your iTunes folder. MPFreaker's Rescan will then always find new songs that way.

Leon
clarkeperformance

Freaker can't find

Post by clarkeperformance » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:12 pm

I have done all of the mentioned without sucsess. So now I am puzzeled?

When I get home I will resart the commputer. Any other sugestions?

Using 7.4.2 Looks to me like MPfreaker stopped finding things when that upgrade happend, but it might have been the one before.

I tunes is working fine and not missing anything.

My primary library and music is on an external drive.

Moving the library file to the local disk did not change the situation.
JC
beastie

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 pm

I have done all of the mentioned without sucsess. So now I am puzzeled?
Restarting your computer will not help. At the very least, accessing your iTunes library through MPFreaker's "Disk Directory" should be infallible, as it is literally going through every single sub-folder within the chosen folder to find music. This is assuming you have "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" turned on in iTunes' Advanced preferences (it is by default).

Here's a possibility: MPFreaker only recognizes and works with MP3 (.mp3) and AAC (.m4a, .m4p) song files. If these newly added songs are in another iTunes-supported format (e.g. WAV, AIFF, QuickTime), they will not appear in MPFreaker.

Leon
clarkeperformance

Mystery Continues

Post by clarkeperformance » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:22 pm

All my music is apple lossless. I have over 5000 songs that worked with MPfreeker.
MPf is not finding the library file now using directory.
When it starts when itunes is already up it shows the info without the new additions (over 1000 songs). Is it finding "previous itunes libary"?
Why is disk directory not finding it?
is it confused by the large size of the library?
I can use disk directory to find a very small library on my lap top computer.
JC
clarkeperformance

Better

Post by clarkeperformance » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Ok I miss understood the use of disk directory. I had been using it to find the library not the music.

When pointed to the music file MPf successfully found the new adds.

Hope this helps others. Still any idea why rescan and itunes file did not work?
JC
beastie

Follow-up

Post by beastie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:32 am

I too keep my music on an external volume, and in order to make some other software happy which needed to refer to my iTunes Library, I did something which will probably help you as well.

MPFreaker is pretty smart about automatically finding one's iTunes Library, and if you have more than one that it finds it will pick the most recently modified, but I'm guessing that it just isn't finding your currently active library for some reason.

What you can do is go into your home directory's Music folder and put an alias there from your actual iTunes directory on your external volume. You may already have an outdated or empty iTunes library directory here, so you'll need to delete (or rename or move) the old one first.

Most software which expects your iTunes library to be in a typical place should thereafter have no problem finding it.

Leon