population of genre field

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
klagreca

population of genre field

Post by klagreca » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 am

Hi folks!
I don't think MPFreaker should be pulling multiple genres to populate a single field. So instead of a song's genre being "synthpop" I get this: "Synthpop New Wave Pop rock". My genre field in iTunes is a mess and that makes me an unhappy camper.

iTunes doesn't know how to handle multiple genres, so this functionality should be an option, at best.

My 2 cents.
K
Design for Small Business
www.lagrecaarts.com
beastie

Genre madness

Post by beastie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:02 am

Unfortunately, some of MPFreaker's sources list the genre this way, with no separator. We can't just take the first word ("New Wave" and "Hip Hop" become "New" and "Hip").

I'd have to say that genres are MPFreaker's weakest point. Even without technical issues, some artists' genres are perfectly obvious while others are such a melange that assigning one genre is impossible. Still, this is something that MPFreaker can do better.

Leon
klagreca

database sources

Post by klagreca » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Leon,
Thanks for your reply and acknowledging this difficulty.

I'm also finding that the genres pulled from Discog are wildly inaccurate at times. My thoughts is if the database is off by "too much," then MPFreaker may become more of a dis-service than a help.

Of course I don't know what the other database options are. But regardless, from a user standpoint-I can say this: I would pay more if I knew that the database source was going to be more accurate. So, for example, if you offered an "upgraded" version that pulled from a more reliable source -- I'd buy it.

Best wishes!
Kris
Design for Small Business
www.lagrecaarts.com
mezcalhead

Re: Genre madness

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:06 pm

how about using the "grouping" field instead of "genre"? anyway to customize that?