"Cannot update chunk offsets" What does this mean?

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
CaptD

"Cannot update chunk offsets" What does this mean?

Post by CaptD » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 am

I get this error message:

cannot modify Santana/Black Magic Woman [Gypsy Queen]: cannot update chunk offsets

What does it mean and how do I "fix" it?

Is there a listing of error messages that we can access for MPF?
If not perhaps we could start one that is searchable.
beastie

cannot update chunk offsets

Post by beastie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 am

cannot modify Santana/Black Magic Woman [Gypsy Queen]: cannot update chunk offsets
There are definitely a number of errors that can end up in the log window which are not likely to be helpful to anyone but LairWare.

This error means that the tag information in that AAC (.m4a) file is corrupted, and MPFreaker can't reorganize its contents in order to add or change any information. This is actually the first time we've heard from someone with this error!

Converting the track to an MP3 file in iTunes would solve the problem. I can follow up with a how-to if you want to do this (relatively non-trivial) task.
CaptD

Yes, tell me how to "fix" it.

Post by CaptD » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks in advance!
beastie

Converting songs from one format to another

Post by beastie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 am

iTunes allows you to convert song files from one format to another, but it's a complicated topic with considerations of relative advantages between AAC, MP3, and various lossless formats. This is by necessity beyond the scope of this post, but searching the internet will net you loads of guides and comparisons.

Under normal circumstances one would likely prefer AAC format, given the AAC format's superior quality to MP3 at a particular bit rate. Here we'll be converting to MP3, however. Simply put, go into iTunes' Preferences (General tab) and click the "Import Settings..." button next to "When you insert a CD:". Yes, what we're doing clearly doesn't always apply to CDs, Apple needs to give their Preferences UI some rethinking.

Change the "Import Using:" pop-up to "MP3 Encoder", and I suggest having the "Setting:" at least "High Quality". OK this, and OK the Preferences window.

You can now select any number of songs in iTunes and ctrl-click them to reveal the contextual menu. Select "Create MP3 Version", and iTunes will then start converting them. Bear in mind that the old AAC versions will remain, it's up to you to delete them.