blocked by discogs because of MPFreaker

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
MiB

blocked by discogs because of MPFreaker

Post by MiB » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:20 pm

After using MPFreaker I got blocked from discogs.com. I contacted Discogs support trough an anonymizer service (the only way to contact them as I was blocked) I got this message from Discogs support:
"The MPFreaker app is a screen scrapping app (which is a violation of our ToS); it should be using our API for data. I've unblocked the IP, but if you continue to use the app, your IP will be auto-blocked by our system."

It does seem likely that the blame lies with how Lairware have constructed the functionality of MPFreaker in relation to discogs. Why not use the API when there is one, Lairware? Do also other services have the same issues with MPFreaker usage of their web services?

This is of course an unintended bug, but will Lairware listen and start using the discogs API instead in coming versions? For me Discogs is the best source for meta data on the planet. I can't use MPFreaker as it is now.

/MiB
beastie

Re: blocked by discogs because of MPFreaker

Post by beastie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:10 am

The Discogs.com reply you received isn't quite correct. When support for Discogs.com was added to MPFreaker, it was with their (then-current) JSON API, fully respecting their terms of use and usage limitations. MPFreaker has never "scraped" from Discogs.com.
MiB

Re: blocked by discogs because of MPFreaker

Post by MiB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:20 am

Nevertheless Discogs doesn't seem happy with the connections MPFreaker makes currently, to put it mildly.

The only way to use MPFreaker now is to block its access to Discogs. Which makes it kind of pointless, I think.

No update for Discogs on the horizon? MPFreaker would be among the best apps for missing tags if this was solved, if not the best.

ОФИЦИАЛЬНЫЙ САЙТ MMORPG, MMORTS, MMOFPS, MMOTPS, MOBA ИГР