Where are the game files located and how can I find them?

Ultima III has thousands of fans around the world, and here's the home for the Mac users among them.
phdtobe

Where are the game files located and how can I find them?

Post by phdtobe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:06 pm

I have played the game for a bit and saved it several times but can't find the current game or roster files using Mac OS X's Finder. I've tried showing hidden files using UNIX commands but that only shows the "." files. I've also looked in the package contents and only find the program and resource files. But I don't see a roster or game file. Can you tell me how to locate them? I would like to back them up at times in case I do something really stupid in the game.

Thanks...
beastie

In your Preferences folder.

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:03 am

The roster (and current party, and current Sosaria map) are in a file tucked away in your home folder, in a place where all of your apps store user-specific settings:

(home) / Library / Preferences / com.lairware.ultima3.roster

This file is an old-school resource fork file, not a standard data fork file. Be wary when using some unix programs, they may not support resource forks (i.e. the 'ls' command shows that it is 0 bytes). Users of pre-OS X versions of this Ultima III know this file as "Roster" which sat alongside the Ultima III program, aside from its name and location it is unchanged in format.

Leon
phdtobe

Post by phdtobe » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:21 am

Thanks!