Chest question

Ultima III has thousands of fans around the world, and here's the home for the Mac users among them.
polygoncount

Chest question

Post by polygoncount » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 pm

As you guys make use of the original data files, is it possible for you to post the % chances for various items/gold to appear? Also, is it possible to find out if the method used to open a chest has any bearing on the end contents, or even the opener's Dex/Wis scores (for Thieving/Appar Unem)?

We are compiling this sort of info on the Codex of Ultima Wisdom at http://codex.ultimaaiera.com/wiki/Main_Page .

I'd appreciate it, thanks! Feel free to stop by and contribute yourself if you aren't already under a different name!
polygon_count
polygoncount

Bump?

Post by polygoncount » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am

Bump. :wink:
polygon_count
beastie

Re: Chest question

Post by beastie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:47 am

The contents of a chest is not determined until it is opened, thus this isn't really related to original data files -- but like most everything else in my port of Ultima III the behavior is taken directly from a disassembly of the original Apple II version. Some wacky 8-bit CPU logic, but here's the gist:

"Get" (Dexterity) vs. "Appar Unem" (Wisdom) only affects the likelihood of a trap being set off, not in any way the contents of the chest.

Chests randomly contain between 30-99 gold pieces, with amounts less than 60 somewhat more likely.

25% of the time, an item might also be included:

First, a 50% chance for a weapon. Weapon type is anything from Hands up to 2 Handed Sword, with a sort-of logarithmically decreasing likelihood as you go up. If it ends up choosing Hands, it doesn't include a weapon after all.

If no weapon is included, there's a similar process for choosing Armour starting at 50% probability, from Skin logarithmically up to Chain. Likewise, if Skin is chosen it doesn't include any armour in the chest.

It would be kind of disturbing to find hands and skin in a chest, I suppose ...