Ultima 2 Double HiRes Apple II version?

Ultima III has thousands of fans around the world, and here's the home for the Mac users among them.
seeley

Ultima 2 Double HiRes Apple II version?

Post by seeley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi there!

I have been following your magnificent Ultima 3 for Mac for many years.

Me and my boys play through all the Ultimas periodically. The other day I was setting up Ultima 2 on my IIGS for one of my younger sons to go through, and on Asimov we noticed a new (from April 2014) upload of a double hires version of Ultima 2.

Here are some screenshots of it (click left to see the rest):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blakespot ... otostream/

This is all news to me, but it says it's by Beastie. I'm assuming this is a work you did prior to the Mac Ultima 3 remake?

If so, would you mind providing any information on when you did this and what changes you made? Are any of the bugs (e.g. pirate ship, strength greater than 25 fixed) or patches (only finding tri-lithium in towers or dungeons) applied?

Assuming this is you, thank you very much for doing this. It's really neat and my kids are jazzed to see the enhanced graphics!

Sincerely,

Joe Seeley
beastie

Re: Ultima 2 Double HiRes Apple II version?

Post by beastie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:28 am

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner!

This is indeed something I did when I was a kid, and it was never distributed to anyone but my friends. I guess it finally got out into the wild!

I don't remember patching anything other than graphics and text display.
seeley

Post by seeley » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks for confirming this. This is a pretty exciting find considering it was just uploaded to Asimov last spring.

My son is playing it right now so I can confirm the strength patch (going above 25) is in place, still trying to figure out about whether trilithium can be obtained from thieves or not.

You say you just altered the graphics and text but you also had to hack the assembly language code in order to change it from single to double hires, correct? Impressive regardless and a taste of what was to come with Ultima 3.

Thanks again,

Joe
darkcrayon

Post by darkcrayon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 pm

beastie wrote:Sorry I didn't notice this sooner!

This is indeed something I did when I was a kid, and it was never distributed to anyone but my friends. I guess it finally got out into the wild!

I don't remember patching anything other than graphics and text display.
Ha, this is awesome! I stumbled on it after getting your Ultima III to run on my iPad with the mini vMac emulator (resulting in downloading it on my real mac and an insta-purchase, of course).

If I had a time machine I would go back in time and get you to modify Ultima V with Apple //gs graphics ;)