Names in iTunes

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
timcon

Names in iTunes

Post by timcon » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:53 am

I may have a unique problem. I import into iTunes recordings I have made of radio broadcasts (all in public domain and only for my own use), but because I keep multiple backup copies of all my files (being paranoid), when I buy a new computer I import from not only the old computer internal drive but also from the various external drives i have saved things to.

As far as iTunes is concerned, I then have multiple recordings of, let's say, "Jasper Carrot, Brum". But when Song Sergeant looks at them it sees "Jasper Carrot, Brum", "Jasper Carrot, Brum 1", "Jasper Carrot, Brum 2" and so on.

That is, in iTunes the 'songs' appear to have the same names, but in Song Sergeant they have different names and therefore do not register as duplicates.

I tried changing them from Audiobooks to Music but it made no difference.

Can you help me? How can I make Song Sergeant see that two files are the same even when they have slightly different titles?

Best regards,

-- Tim
Tim Conway
Geraldton
Western Australia
beastie

Different names in iTunes vs. Song Sergeant

Post by beastie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 am

What's strange to me is that all of Song Sergeant's song titles are taken directly from your iTunes library (with the exception of orphaned song files, where information is read directly from the files).

Could you possibly email screenshots of iTunes and Song Sergeant showing these recordings to support@lairware.com?

Leon
beastie

Followup

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 pm

This moved into an email exchange, and here's the result:

These files weren't registering in Song Sergeant as duplicates, but not because Song Sergeant thought they had different names -- it was because they were .m4b (Audiobook) files. Song Sergeant tries to leave alone anything in your iTunes library that isn't music -- videos, ringtones, audiobooks.

A future release of Song Sergeant may provide a configurable list of acceptable file extensions. Right now it is hardcoded to only accept .mp2, .mp3, .m4a, and .m4p files (commonly referred to as MP3 and AAC files).

Leon