Song Sergeant could't read your iTunes Library's xml-HELP..!

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
RickyX

Song Sergeant could't read your iTunes Library's xml-HELP..!

Post by RickyX » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I keep getting the following message no matter what I do:

"Song Sergeant could not read your iTunes Library's xml file because an error occurred. This usually happens because the incorrect file has been selected, if you think this is the case please choose another.

'Conversion of string failed. The string is empty.'

The file “iTunes Music Library.xml” couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-Cool."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Song Sergent, iTunes, deleted the .XML files, iTunes recreates them.... seems like nothing will get Song Seargent to work....It use to.... HELP...!!!
beastie

Coping with bad iTunes XML

Post by beastie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 am

This sounds like a bug in iTunes that we worked around in Song Sergeant 1.2.1. Is it possible that you're using an older version of Song Sergeant than that? If so, please update to the latest.
RickyX

Post by RickyX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 pm

:?: I am using version: 1.2.1 (122)... I downloaded it through the iTunes/App Store... I had previously purchased a copy through the LairWire website... but lost my serial number...I loved it...but it accidentally got deleted... so I purchased on iTunes Store....

I have kept it up to date, and it is at Version 1.2.1 (122). It was working great then this started to happen... I uninstalled iTunes using Clean My Mac that deletes all associate files, then reinstalled it. I uninstalled Song Sergeant and reinstalled it... and still get the error message... I deleted the iTunes Library .XML file, and it recreates a new one... yet the same problem... One time... it only found orphaned files, and fixed those, but did not find any other info.... after that... still get the message....

I love Song Sergeant so much.... I have tried several other programs in the past... not only where they not as good, some of them really messed up song data and deleted songs... Never had any type of problem like this with Song Sergeant.... It is the only thing I trust... but really need to run it...

The .XML file exists on my user file --> music --> itunes --> iTunes Music Library.xml yet the actual songs are on an external drive b/c the library/media are too big for my iMac drive. I have approx 30,000 audio files... not sure if that makes a difference...

If you can please help me in any way to get this working... I would so really appreciate it....

Thanks,
Ricky X
RickyX29@gmail.com
Morpheus73

Re: Song Sergeant could't read your iTunes Library's xml-HEL

Post by Morpheus73 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 am

I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problem as Ricky; also using Song Sergeant 1.2.2, on Mac OS 10.7.3. I don't use Song Sergeant every day, so I can't pinpoint exactly when this problem started to occur, but the error messages I'm getting are the same.

I'd like to keep using Song Sergeant as (usually) I find it quite effective, but I'm loathe to rebuild my iTunes library if this is a problem that others are experiencing that may have been introduced by Apple's continual tinkering with iTunes (and perhaps the format of the XML file)

Has any progress been made with the analysis of this problem? Has anyone solved it by other means?
beastie

Re: Song Sergeant could't read your iTunes Library's xml-HEL

Post by beastie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 am

RickyX contacted us through email also where we tried to get him to try the beta version to see if the problem still exists for the next release, but we have not heard back from him. The beta version is available here:

http://www.lairware.com/download/SongSergeant-beta.zip