Error Msg: Can't locate library (.xml)

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
jctonett

Error Msg: Can't locate library (.xml)

Post by jctonett » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 pm

I get the following error when I try to scan my library:

"Song Sergeant could not read your iTunes Library's xml file because an error occurred. This usually happens because the incorrect file has been selected, if you think this is the case please choose another.

'Conversion of string failed. The string is empty.'

The file “iTunes Music Library.xml” couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8)."

I manually can locate it, and it is where it is supposed to be, and it is intact.

How do I fix? I tried uninstalling SS, but no luck.
jctonett

Solved!

Post by jctonett » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 am

In another forum, I found this solution relating to TiVo.

I deleted the iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl files in my music folder, restarted iTunes, and added My Music back. Problem fixed.

Only problem is that if you have a large library, it takes forever to reload your library.
beastie

couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8)

Post by beastie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 am

Song Sergeant couldn't open the iTunes xml because it wasn't properly encoded -- which unfortunately iTunes does from time to time, usually relating to when some accented characters are part of a song file's path.

Luckily, the next post-1.2.2 release of Song Sergeant will work around this so that no one will have to force-rebuild their iTunes library xml.

Ambit, to change the location of your iTunes library you will need to hold alt (option) when launching iTunes and it will ask you to choose the library folder's location. For Song Sergeant to properly notice where your library is afterward, you will need to then quit/relaunch iTunes before launching Song Sergeant again.