Discrepancy Between iTunes Tag Data and What MP3Freaker Show

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
Dr. Z.

Discrepancy Between iTunes Tag Data and What MP3Freaker Show

Post by Dr. Z. » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:17 pm

Hello,

After using MP3Freaker to help me reconstruct my accidentally corrupted 30000 song iTunes database, I have some questions:

1. Some songs have full tag information labeled in iTunes, but do not fully show up in MP3Freaker (missing album, artist, etc.). Why does this happen?
2. MP3Freaker provided a handful of songs with incorrect artwork (yes, I trusted the “Deep Search” too much). Hey, but it did a great job for 98% of my large database! If trying to track down and correct all these songs gets too cumbersome, is there an easy way to wipe out just the artwork from ALL songs and start over?

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
beastie

Re: Discrepancy Between iTunes Tag Data and What MP3Freaker

Post by beastie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:20 am

Dr. Z. wrote:1. Some songs have full tag information labeled in iTunes, but do not fully show up in MP3Freaker (missing album, artist, etc.). Why does this happen?
Under normal circumstances, iTunes stores all song information you see in two places, in the song files themselves and in its own proprietary database for quick access. Sometimes iTunes decides that it doesn't want to store the info for some songs in their files directly, and only keeps its own database up to date. This has been rare and unpredictable for me so I haven't found a conclusive reason, but it may possibly be caused by a corrupt info tag, or by permissions problems.

This is an issue I've tried to tackle in the past and will certainly return to at some point. Please do send a sample file to support@lairware.com and I'll have a look to make sure that this is in fact what is happening.
Dr. Z. wrote:2. MP3Freaker provided a handful of songs with incorrect artwork (yes, I trusted the “Deep Search” too much). Hey, but it did a great job for 98% of my large database! If trying to track down and correct all these songs gets too cumbersome, is there an easy way to wipe out just the artwork from ALL songs and start over?
Yikes! If you really really do want to go that far, you can do it with either iTunes or MPFreaker. With iTunes, select every affected song in your Library and bring up the Get Info window. Without doing anything else, click the checkbox next to the "Artwork" box, then Okay it.

Leon