cannot modify Jars Of Clay/Flood (Live): cannot update chunk

Users of MPFreaker exchange tips and comments.
macguy

Post by macguy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:51 am

There are a few songs that I get the following error on. I've checked permissions and everything seems fine there. Any other ideas why these aren't working.

Specifically MPF is trying to add lyrics to the songs.

Eric
beastie

Mangled AAC info?

Post by beastie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:48 pm

This means that MPFreaker thinks those AAC songs have mangled information and won't modify them for fear of losing information.

Please e-mail one of those song files to support@lairware.com and we'll see if the situation can be improved.

Leon
beastie

Malformed AAC atoms

Post by beastie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:21 am

macguy sent in one of these songs and I thought I'd share the results with everyone.

This AAC song is malformed. AACs are comprised of "atoms" -- song data is normally contained in one called 'mdat', whereas this one's song data is in one called ' '.

It's easy to fix these songs by having iTunes re-encode them. Select the songs in iTunes, then from the Advanced menu select "Convert Selection To AAC" (or MP3, etc. depending on your Importing settings in Preferences). Even though they're already AACs, it'll work fine to convert them to AAC again. You'll get duplicates of the songs, so afterward you delete the old ones. Looking at iTunes' "Get Info" window for them will help sort out the old from the new.

Leon
macguy

Post by macguy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:49 am

Thank you for the response. I'm curious how they get malformed. These files were ripped with iTunes 3 and I'm sure the track info came from CDDB.

So would it be a corruption sort of thing or the file not made correctly in the first place?
beastie

why are these files like this?

Post by beastie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:08 am

Your guess is as good as mine, macguy. I still have some AAC files made with the first versions of iTunes supporting AAC, and none of them have this misnamed music data ('mdat') atom problem.

This isn't something that could happen by itself -- perhaps a 3rd party utility that didn't interact with AAC files properly caused it? Not having encountered this problem before, I really don't know ...

Leon