Inconsistent & Orphans

Discuss LairWare's app for fixing problems in your iTunes library.
Martyn

Inconsistent & Orphans

Post by Martyn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 am

Hi,

I love your program and on the whole it does everything I want it to do, but....

1.03 is the version I am on, it runs through my library (22,000 tracks) and I have merged duplicates (i choose to have them deleted), this seems to work fine. I have 9 items in the Inconsistent list, and I select them all and ask the program to rename them. It seems to do this, I then look at the orphans of which I have 65 tracks, again I select all and choose add to iTunes. this seems to work alright. It is only when i rescan when the problem shows. It finds the same 9 inconsisentsies and the same 65 Orpahns. When I go through some of the Orphans and track them down in iTunes they are listed and the file is in the correct location (there is also no duplicate).

It seems that the software is picking up something from the same 65 files each time.

The inconsistent as mentioned are the same 9 and having checked the files nine of them have been corrected.

As I said I like your program, I am just a little frustrated by these errors. I have tried the BETA version and the same problems occured.

Kind Regards

Martyn Moore
Bourne, UK :D
beastie

Post by beastie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:19 pm

We've found an issue that may result in what you described. To see if our fix works for you, please try the latest beta version mentioned in this topic.

Leon
stumonkey

Similar issue

Post by stumonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:17 am

I have a similar issue both with 1.03 and the latest beta (1.04b3 (44), but when I select "add tracks to itunes" from teh orphaned list, it doesn't add it. I have an "adopted" that has about 10 tracks out of the 210 orphaned ones.
I have checked that the file location of the orphaned file exists and it still isn't shown in iTunes.
When I rescan the library it finds the same 210 orphaned files
I am running snow leopard and running of a network stored itunes
I have got "keep itunes organised" and "copy new tracks to itunes" selected in iTunes preferences.

This would be a great tool if I could get it to work!
vcayenne

Post by vcayenne » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:32 pm

This issue makes the application unusable for me. I keep trying each new beta but... I'm currently experiencing the problem with Version 1.0.4b7 (51). I open the app, it scans, finds 530 missing, 5694 orphans, 358 inconsistent and 666 duplicates. In the first place the items listed as orphans are incorrectly listed - I can go to several at random within iTunes and they are playable with everything properly associated. Secondly, whether or not I elect to have the program "fix" the missing and orphans, the rescan finds them once again. Third, the resolution of inconsistencies won't work while the missing "problem" exists. And last, but not least, unlike the inconsistencies, I can't drag-select duplicate sets and only fix those items. So there is no feature of the program yet usable for me, after purchase in September. Sigh.

My iTunes library is on an external disk and appears to be seen by Song Sergeant. All references appear correct. My library constitutes > 17,000 items and uses some 90 GB. Moving it to the startup disk is not an option.

Is Song Sergeant incapable of handling my circumstances or should I continue seeking/awaiting resolution?
beastie

Let's see here ...

Post by beastie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

In the first place the items listed as orphans are incorrectly listed - I can go to several at random within iTunes and they are playable with everything properly associated. Secondly, whether or not I elect to have the program "fix" the missing and orphans, the rescan finds them once again. Third, the resolution of inconsistencies won't work while the missing "problem" exists.
This rather sounds like Song Sergeant is using an out-of-date or just plain wrong iTunes xml file, rather than the one actively being kept up to date by iTunes. I'd suggest going to Song Sergeant's Misc tab in Preferences and resetting to the Defaults, so Sarge can use its own logic to locate the correct xml file.
And last, but not least, unlike the inconsistencies, I can't drag-select duplicate sets and only fix those items.
You can work with a subset of your duplicates at a time by clicking the Unmark button, then selecting a portion of the found duplicates and clicking Automark. Other duplicates won't be marked, and hence the "Merge Marked" button will do nothing with them.

Please follow up here, if you can.
johnehowe

41 Orphans remain

Post by johnehowe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:43 am

Currently on version 1.03, it runs through my library and I have merged duplicates (i choose to have them deleted), this seems to work fine. I have 9 items in the Inconsistent list, and I select them all and ask the program to rename them. It seems to do this, I then look at the orphans of which I have 41 tracks, again I select all and choose add to iTunes. this seems to work alright. It is only when i rescan when the problem shows. It finds the same 9 inconsisentsies and the same 41 Orpahns. When I go through some of the Orphans and track them down in iTunes they are listed and the file is in the correct location (there is also no duplicate).

It seems that the software is picking up something from the same 41 files each time.
vcayenne

Re: Let's see here ...

Post by vcayenne » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:20 am

beastie wrote:
In the first place the items listed as orphans are incorrectly listed - I can go to several at random within iTunes and they are playable with everything properly associated. Secondly, whether or not I elect to have the program "fix" the missing and orphans, the rescan finds them once again. Third, the resolution of inconsistencies won't work while the missing "problem" exists.
This rather sounds like Song Sergeant is using an out-of-date or just plain wrong iTunes xml file, rather than the one actively being kept up to date by iTunes. I'd suggest going to Song Sergeant's Misc tab in Preferences and resetting to the Defaults, so Sarge can use its own logic to locate the correct xml file.
I returned to this after a long, long time and you were absolutely correct. I followed your suggestion and Song Sergeant became usable once more! Thanks.
beastie

Post by beastie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

I returned to this after a long, long time and you were absolutely correct. I followed your suggestion and Song Sergeant became usable once more! Thanks
Glad to hear this!
Currently on version 1.03, it runs through my library and I have merged duplicates (i choose to have them deleted), this seems to work fine. I have 9 items in the Inconsistent list, and I select them all and ask the program to rename them. It seems to do this, I then look at the orphans of which I have 41 tracks, again I select all and choose add to iTunes. this seems to work alright. It is only when i rescan when the problem shows. It finds the same 9 inconsisentsies and the same 41 Orpahns. When I go through some of the Orphans and track them down in iTunes they are listed and the file is in the correct location (there is also no duplicate).

It seems that the software is picking up something from the same 41 files each time.
I have two suggestions, johnehowe:
  • Turn on "Display information about minor errors" in Song Sergeant's Misc Preferences and try again, and
  • Try out the Song Sergeant beta version, found here:
http://lwupdate.dyndns.org/SongSergeant-beta.zip